Celebrate Easter and show off your baking skills with this hot cross buns recipe by Le Pain Quotidien ...
Ingredients for 6 cross buns
250g strong white flour
7g active dried yeast
45g caster sugar
Zest of one orange
150ml whole milk
20g unsalted butter
70g dried raisins
For the cross paste
4tbsp water syrup for glaze
￼￼￼￼1. Warm up milk and orange zest in a small saucepan until steaming and add the butter.
2. In a large bowl mix flour, cinnamon, caster sugar and yeast.
3. Pour in the warm milk mixture into the flour and mix with a spatula.
4. Add the egg into and mix with a spatula until the mixture clumps together.
5. Incorporate into the dough the dried raisin.
6. Preheat the oven at 30c
7. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces.
8. Roll each lump of dough into a smooth ball.
9. Place the dough balls on a lined baking tray.
10. Leave the tray in the oven and to prove for 30 min until the dough has doubled in volume.
11. Preheat the oven at 180c
12. To make the paste for the crosses, mix together the flour and water and spoon into a piping bag.
13. Pipe crosses onto the buns.
14. Bake the buns for seven minutes, or until fully baked and golden. 15. Prepare the glaze while the buns are baking by heating the sugar and water together on a low heat until the sugar dissolves.
16. Remove the buns from the oven when they are baked and lightly brush with the syrup glaze while they are still hot.
Serve and enjoy!